Our guest today is Josh Sattin from Sattin Hill Farm from Raleigh North Carolina. Together we’ll be discussing the differences and challenges of suburban farming, how Josh became a farmer after teaching and brewing, why he gave up his ducks, and much more.
Listen To the Show
- Before going into agriculture, Josh was a teacher and professional brewer.
- Josh is raising Produce on an eighth of an acre.
- The brewery background gave Josh an organized mindset and skill for multitasking.
- Unlike Chickens, the female ducks are louder than the males which prompted the need for Josh to forgo the laying ducks on the operation.
- Homework, watch the Andy Griffith Show.
- Josh’s raising high rotation salad greens and pastured egg layers.
- In starting up the homestead, Josh has been conscientious about not scaling up too quickly adding too many products too soon.