Today we are concluding our interview with Evan Thomsen from eRochefoucould. Our discussion will on Jefferson’s political philosophy and it’s effect in both agriculture and our modern language. I like how our conversation re-circles some themes we discussed in the part one of our…
37 – Local Processing | Ted LeBow – Kitchen Table Consultants
Today’s guest is Ted LeBow from Kitchen Table Consultants, a business consulting firm that focuses on helping farming and food related enterprises. With Ted we’ll be talking about his first business venture, a farm, what kind of work KTC does, and a dive into a report they produced with the Pennsylvania Association of Sustainable Agriculture on the state of meat processors in Pennsylvania for local farmers.
Listen To The Show!
- Kitchen Table Consultants has different levels of consultants with entrepreneurial and some food industry experience.
- Ted’s first business was a farm, at thirteen he bought his first tractor
- Kitchen Table Consultants focuses on financial sustainability as feeding agricultural sustainability
- Epigenetics is how what you eat will effect your future generations
- “Cathedral Thinking” is thinking in multiple generations, like the time frame it takes to build a Cathedral in your village
- It’s hard to farm when you can’t make money
- “We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.” – Walt Disney
- Kitchen Table Consultants teamed up with the Pennsylvania Association of Sustainable Agriculture to produce a report on local meat processing
- The report asked primarily “What do farmers want?” and “What are best practices of smaller processors?”
- Meat processing is not construction, it’s deconstruction, which makes it a different kind of business
- Local processors are a critical component of the small local producers, but under appreciated
- It takes a good butcher to properly cut up an animal for both maximum edible yield and maximum flavor
- Producers are looking for yield tracking from processors to see how much meat is actually coming off their livestock
- Scheduling is always a concern for farmers to get their livestock processed
Local Meat Processing Report: http://www.kitchentableconsultants.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/A-Leg-Up-FINAL.pdf