Today we’re talking about why Nature’s Always Right, with Steven Cornett from Nature’s Always Right in Lemon Grove California. Together we’ll be talking about how Steven got started in agriculture, what compost tea is, how he got involved in YouTube and so much more….
37 – Local Processing | Ted LeBow – Kitchen Table Consultants
Today’s guest is Ted LeBow from Kitchen Table Consultants, a business consulting firm that focuses on helping farming and food related enterprises. With Ted we’ll be talking about his first business venture, a farm, what kind of work KTC does, and a dive into a report they produced with the Pennsylvania Association of Sustainable Agriculture on the state of meat processors in Pennsylvania for local farmers.
Listen To The Show!
- Kitchen Table Consultants has different levels of consultants with entrepreneurial and some food industry experience.
- Ted’s first business was a farm, at thirteen he bought his first tractor
- Kitchen Table Consultants focuses on financial sustainability as feeding agricultural sustainability
- Epigenetics is how what you eat will effect your future generations
- “Cathedral Thinking” is thinking in multiple generations, like the time frame it takes to build a Cathedral in your village
- It’s hard to farm when you can’t make money
- “We don’t make movies to make money, we make money to make more movies.” – Walt Disney
- Kitchen Table Consultants teamed up with the Pennsylvania Association of Sustainable Agriculture to produce a report on local meat processing
- The report asked primarily “What do farmers want?” and “What are best practices of smaller processors?”
- Meat processing is not construction, it’s deconstruction, which makes it a different kind of business
- Local processors are a critical component of the small local producers, but under appreciated
- It takes a good butcher to properly cut up an animal for both maximum edible yield and maximum flavor
- Producers are looking for yield tracking from processors to see how much meat is actually coming off their livestock
- Scheduling is always a concern for farmers to get their livestock processed
Local Meat Processing Report: http://www.kitchentableconsultants.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/A-Leg-Up-FINAL.pdf